Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Weather Outside Sucks Today - Running

Since the weather outside is not ideal for surfing today I decided to go for a run instead.  Running has got to be my least favorite activity.  I have had two knee surgeries in the past which can make running a bit painful so I absolutely despise it.  When I first started this blog I was determined to leave running out of it.  I declaring the activity something I call "scheduled movement" until I gave it a little thought and determined that it is still a useful activity to invest some time into.

I haven’t gone running consistently in over 5 years and man does it show.   I just ran about a 12 minute mile.  I guess that’s not too bad for a beginner but considering what I used to run about 5 years ago it’s kind of sad.  My goal is to eventually be able to run 2 miles in about 16 minutes.  That to me seems like an attainable goal for someone my age.  I feel strongly that you should set a goal for any activity you begin for motivational purposes.

Starting out on this run today was a very painful and slow process.  My knees were yelling at me for about the first mile until they finally fell in line and started to stop bothering me.  For me, the problem is not with the pain while running it’s with the swelling I normally get the next day.  Oh well, I figure if I take it slow and continue to lose weight then running will become a lot easier, at least that what I keep telling myself.

I included a couple of images of the running shoes I bought last week.  They are Saucony ProGuide 4 running shoes that have a lot of stability in the sole.  I also added some aftermarket inserts called SuperFeet for even more stability and a longer life for the shoe.  These shoes feel great and so far have helped out quite a bit with reducing the knee pain I normally incur while running.  Here is some additional info for these shoes from the manufacture’s website:

RUN - Light Stability
The perfect everyday training shoe, the ProGrid Guide 4 is the next rendition of the award winning ProGrid Guide 3. Ideal for light stability runners, the Guide 4 offers a dual density midsole for motion control and support throughout the entire gait cycle - ensuring a great run every time!
  • The perfect light stability, everyday training shoe
  • Dual density midsole slows down any mild overpronation
  • Smooth transition and ride allows for a great run
  • Weight: 11.6 oz
The images I took of my shoes are below:



Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More