Monday, May 23, 2011

Getting Back To The Gym - Weight Training

After a long internal debate I have decided to get back to a regular gym schedule to do some moderate weight training.  One of the main driving forces for my blog is to take part in a variety of activities to make the experience of working out not feel forced, boring, and scheduled.  I really want to re-wire my brain so I become an active person that does not rely on countless hours on an elliptical machine, treadmill, or stationary bike.  I want to get the bulk of my exercising from activities such as kayaking, surfing, road biking, skateboarding, basketball, or whatever else I can think of.  That still leaves one main piece to leading a healthy life style, weight training.

Part of me feels like going to the gym to lift heavy things is in the same class as scheduled movement time on an elliptical and part of me feels that weight training is fundamental to maintain a strong frame that can stand up to the different activities I am taking on.  One main reason I need to get back to the gym is for leg training.  I have had two knee surgeries in the past and I really need to strengthen my legs.  I am sure these activities I am doing will eventually give my legs the strength they need, but I also need to prepare them with some weight training to help avoid injury.

I won’t be spending hours upon hours in the gym doing weight training.  Instead I will be focusing weight training as a supplemental exercise so that I can keep doing these sports I love.  I am looking to spend no more than 30 to 45 minutes 4 to 5 days a week in the gym lifting weights.  My main goal with weight training will be to build a strong frame that will make me stronger and more agile.  I decided to include some info on the weight training that I will be doing but I have to clarify that I am NOT a personal trainer and I must direct you to your doctor for any advice you need pertaining to weight training.  I am only including this info so you can see the whole picture regarding my journey back to a fit person.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More