Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Modest 2 Miles - Running

I went for a run on the beach today. I figured if I live this close to the beach I might as well take advantage of it. It did the trick too; the running went by much faster because the environment was so beautiful and relaxing. My journey to becoming a runner again is going to be a long painful one. I have had two knee surgeries in the past, one on each knee and it’s been hard to get motivated to run.

I found out about these cool new running shoes called Vibram – Five Finger Shoes. They basically try to simulate the act of barefoot running. There is a movement on the web, with supporters on both sides, regarding barefoot running. I plan on writing an article about this subject once I have some more experience on it so I am not going to go into too much detail about it yet. I just wanted to share a couple of photos I took of these funny looking shoes when I was down at the beach today running.

Vibram Five Finger Shoes



Vibram Five Fingers On The Sand



This is only my second time running for what I consider a long distance. I ran… well jogged for about 2 miles on the beach today. I definitely wasn’t breaking any land speed records today but it was good to get out and add another running session to my list. It served another purpose as well; while I was down at the beach running I saw a bunch of beginner surfers catching some white foamy waves. This got me even more motivated to get down to this beach break more often. All in all, it was a good run. I can’t wait to do it again, believe it or not.

2 comments:

2 miles? and you don't normally run? wow. I only manage 1.24 miles about 2-3 times a week and even then my knees hurt. How were the shoes? better or just better for the beach run?

I ran for the majority of the time and took short rest as my knee started to bother me. I make it a point to travel 2 miles when I go out running no matter what.

The shoes worked great in the sand. I have not ran a long distance on concrete yet. I was debating whether or not to give that a shot today or to go surfing instead.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More